What Every Parent Should Know


    “I want to know how my student is doing in school.”

    1. Expect progress reports at the end of first and third quarters.  These give information regarding grades, attendance and behavior.  Approximately every five weeks teachers will send out danger of failure reports.  If your student is currently earning a D or F in a course teachers will let you know with this report.  Final grades are issued twice a year, at the end of each 18-week semester (late January and mid-June).  These grades are posted on the permanent record, which also includes a permanent attendance record. 
    2. In the meantime, a student may pick up a weekly progress report from the counseling office at any time.  H/she will be responsible for asking each teacher to complete the form.  Use rewards and consequences at home to ensure that your student gives the report to you. 
    3. Check Home Access Center for your student’s schedule of classes and teacher names. 
    4. Email the teacher(s).  Email addresses are found on the teachers pages on the school website. 
    5. Check Home Access Center daily for attendance information.  Home Access Center is linked from the HRVHS homepage.  You will need to know your student’s ID number. 
    6. Call or email your student’s counselor


    “My student is failing a class or classes.  What do I do?”

    1. Arrange a regular time and place for studying. 
    2. Check the homework.  Has it been completed?  Have the student SHOW it to you.  A Hood River Valley High School student should study at least 30 – 60 minutes each night.  If they do not have assigned homework, any type of reading or schoolwork practice can be used to ensure success in all classes.
    3. Have your student use a planner to write down assignments each day, check it daily. 
    4. See #2 above concerning progress reports.  This is a common practice at HRV.  The successful use of the report is dependent upon consistent parental involvement.
    5. Agree on a system of rewards and consequences to encourage student achievements.  Follow through!!
    6. Email the teacher(s) (see #3 and #4 above for more info).
    7. If the above strategies are not working, call the counselor to discuss other interventions.


    “My student has a problem working with a staff member”

    1. Call the staff member to resolve the issue.  It is always important to talk to that person for suggestions and another point of view.
    2. If needed, speak to the counselor.  Our goal is resolve conflicts with minimal disruption. 


    “My student is ill and/or will be out of school for several days.”

    1. Call attendance within 24 hours to excuse the absences.
    2. Call the main office and ask for a homework request.  It often can be ready for you to pick up at the office by the next day at 3 PM.


    “I suspect my student is using drugs and alcohol.”

    1. Call your insurance carrier for information on its assessment services and support program for youth.
    2. Call Center for Living 386-2620
    3. Contact your student’s counselor for additional information/referral.


    “My student is being harassed by others.”

    1. Talk to your student so you understand his/her view of the situation.
    2. Encourage your student to go to his/her counselor or the dean of students.
    3. If your student refuses to talk to a school person, call the counselor for additional help and information.