• Transferring to the Hood River County School District


    There are two (2) ways to attend the Hood River County School District (HRCSD) if you reside outside of Hood River County. If you have questions regarding these processes, please contact Carol Wagar at 541-387-5013 or email at carol.wagar@hoodriver.k12.or.us.

    * To Transfer from another school district (Non-Resident Inter District Transfer)
    The HRCSD Board of Directors has approved up to 20 students be permitted to attend our schools through Inter District Transfer. A student wishing to attend the HRCSD must first obtain a "release" from their resident Oregon school district. The resident school district may deny the request for a release, which would effectively block and conclude this request. Forms should be obtained from your resident district. If released for transfer by his/her resident district, you may request the HRCSD approve the transfer to a specific school by calling Carol Wagar at the Superintendent's Office at 541-387-5013. The request will be evaluated based on space at the requested school and grade level. Transfers will not be considered for students currently expelled from their resident school. Inter District Transfer is available to Oregon residents only.

    * Tuition Transfer
    The Hood River County School District accepts applications for students who reside out of the Hood River County School District attendance area and wish to pay tuition. Applicants may apply for any school within the District and will be accepted on a space-available basis, up to a total of 10 students. The cost of tuition for out-of-district students for the school-year is $9,300 for each child. Click here to download the application form. Applications for tuition-based registrations are due by July 1st and will be evaluated as they are submitted. Applications can be turned into the School District Office at 1011 Eugene St., faxed to 541-387-5099, or emailed to carol.wagar@hoodriver.k12.or.us. Anyone with questions about the application process can call the District office at 541-387-5013.

    * Open Enrollment Transfer (Ends with the 18/19 School Year)
    The Oregon legislature established Open Enrollment between school districts to support school choice beginning in the 2012-2013 school year. The original statute allowing Open Enrollment ends with the 2018-2019 school year. 2018-2019 Open Enrollment closed on April 1, 2018 statewide. Beginning with the 2019-2020 school year, Open Enrollment is no longer allowed under state law.

    Oregon will require that anyone requesting to transfer to a non-resident district be released by the resident district before requiring placement from the preferred district. This is called an "Interdistrict Transfer". See above.

    If my child was accepted under Open Enrollment, can he or she stay? Yes. If your child was previously accepted under open enrollment, they may stay through graduation unless they enroll in another district. If your child enrolls in another district, they may no longer return under Open Enrollment.


    Resident students may apply using the open enrollment process (see Open Enrollment above) to attend a different school in the district. Please note: For best results, please use Internet Explorer browser.