Transferring to the Hood River County School District
There are two (2) ways to attend the Hood River County School District (HRCSD) if you reside outside of Hood River County. If you have questions regarding these processes, please contact Meghan West at 541-387-5013 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* To Transfer from Another Oregon School District (Non-Resident Inter District Transfer)
The HRCSD Board of Directors has approved up to 20 students being permitted to attend our schools through Inter District Transfer. If a student is granted an Inter District Transfer, they can maintain their spot until graduation. If they leave HRCSD for any reason, they will not be automatically granted a space to return and will have to reapply.
A student wishing to attend the HRCSD must first obtain a "release" from their resident Oregon school district:
1. Obtain a release form from their resident district.
- May 1st through June 1st is the Inter District Enrollment Period
- A lottery will be conducted on a date set by the HRCSD Superintendent if more applications come in than the current spaces available for Inter District Transfer students.
- Siblings of enrolled returning Inter District students will be given priority
2. The resident school district may deny the request for a release, which would effectively block and conclude this request.
3. After receiving an approved release for transfer by the student's resident district, you may request that HRCSD approve the transfer to a specific school by contacting Meghan West at the Superintendent's Office at 541-387-5013 or email@example.com. Please submit a copy of the release from your resident district in your request.
4. The request will be evaluated based on space at the requested school and grade level.
Inter District Transfer is available to Oregon residents only.
Transfers will not be considered for students currently expelled from their resident school.
* Tuition Transfer
The Hood River County School District accepts applications for students who reside out of the Hood River County School District attendance area and wish to pay tuition. The HRCSD Board of Directors has approved up to 10 students be permitted to attend our schools through tuition pay. The cost of tuition for out-of-district students for the 2023-24 school-year is $9,880 for each child.
- May 1st through June 1st is Tuition Open Enrollment Period
- A lottery will be conducted on a date set by the HRCSD Superintendent if more applications come in than the current spaces available for tuition pay.
- Siblings of returning tuition-paying students will be given priority.
- Applications received after June 1st will be accepted on a first come/first served basis.
- During the school year, all applications will be reviewed on a space available basis.
Applications can be turned into the School District Office at 1011 Eugene St., faxed to 541-387-5099, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Anyone with questions about the application process can call the District office at 541-387-5013.
Tuition transfers will not be considered for students currently expelled from their resident school.
RESIDENT STUDENTS - In District Request
Hood River County resident parents who would like their child(ren) to attend a different school within the district may apply using the Parent Request For Student Transfer Form - English, Parent Request For Student Transfer Form - Español.
RESIDENT STUDENTS - Out of District Release Request
Hood River County resident parents who would like their child(ren) to attend a different school OUTSIDE of the district may request a release using the Inter-District Mutual Agreement for Non-Resident Admission.
OPEN ENROLLMENT TRANSFER (Ended with the 18/19 School Year)
The Oregon legislature established Open Enrollment between school districts to support school choice beginning in the 2012-2013 school year. The original statute allowing Open Enrollment ends with the 2018-2019 school year. 2018-2019 Open Enrollment closed on April 1, 2018 statewide. Beginning with the 2019-2020 school year, Open Enrollment is no longer allowed under state law.
If my child was accepted under Open Enrollment, can he or she stay? Yes. If your child was previously accepted under open enrollment, they may stay through graduation unless they enroll in another district. If your child enrolls in another district, they may no longer return under Open Enrollment.