Academic Seminar Syllabus, 2018-19
(541) 386-4500 ext. 4636
Academic Seminar at HRVHS is designed to develop, strengthen, and improve skills for positive academic performance and achievement. Through specially designed instruction and content area coursework, cognitive learning strategies are taught which focus on comprehension and memory skills, organizational and study skills, test taking, and the enhancement of oral and written expression.
Self-advocacy skills, development of a growth mindset and transitional planning are also part of the instructional program. Students' progress is monitored and reviewed throughout the year according to their IEPs (Individual Educational Plans). Academic Seminar is not a study hall. May be repeated for credit.
Academic Seminar Objectives:
- Progress toward attainment of individual goals as stated in IEP.
- Improve academic performance in all academic classes.
- Integrate self-awareness
- Self-monitor and self-record progress on goals and grades.
- Demonstrate self-advocacy by obtaining help with the above.
Student and Staff Expectations: EAGLE PRIDE
- Come to class on time and ready to learn
- Establish short term and long term goals and make a plan to achieve them
- See mistakes as opportunities to improve
- Treat others as you want to be treated
- Respect your belonging and those of others
- Listen to others and be open to new ideas
- Demonstrate trustworthiness
- Do the “right” thing
- Be yourself and own it
- Everyone has a place here
- Be open to what other cultures and viewpoints can teach you
- Avoid assumptions about one another
- Be present
- Be involved
- Take advantages of opportunities at HRVHS
Students will be assigned 2 Newsela articles each week. Students are responsible for adjusting the level to meet their reading lexile score. Students will also be required to complete 2 iReady math lessons each week. IReady lessons are assigned based on IEP Goals, current math placement, and performance on the i-Ready Math Diagnostic. In addition, students will be given two additional assignments each month. These assignments will be assigned through my Google Classroom page.
*All assignments are worth 50 points
*Any additional iReady or Newsela articles are worth 50 points extra credit.
100-90% A – Exceptional work towards goals and class assignments.
89-80% B – Good work towards goals and class assignments. Student meets expectations comfortably, and all goals/work is on time or early.
79-70% C – Satisfactory work towards goals and class assignments. Student meets expectations, and goals/work generally met on time.
69-60% D – Poor work towards goals and class assignments. Student falls short of expectations, and goals/work not met on time.
below 60% F – Little to no work towards goals. Student fails to meet expectations or progress towards goals/work.
1) Computers and i-pads are provided in class for your use. Phones, music players, and other electronic media are not necessary and need to be secured in backpacks.
2) Food or drink is allowed, and students are responsible for keeping their area clean.
3) Students may earn breaks for hard work during class and as needed for proper brain function. Students do not need to work during their breaks, but they must remain under supervision and continue to follow the rules of the class. One break will always be given halfway through the period. An additional break can be earned at the end of the period.
4) Students may be excused to the office, the bathroom, or another classroom with teacher permission. Students leaving the classroom must take a color-coded pass and remain in the appropriate hall.
- Upon entering the classroom, students can choose to place phones in assigned number in class phone pocket or secured in personal bag or backpack.
- Headphones must also be secured in backpack. Teacher approval is required for use.
- All phones must be in silent mode
- Students may not take phones to bathroom
Please take this syllabus home and show it to your family. Bring it back with a parent/guardian’s signature.
Parent’s signature Date
Student signature Date