Message from the PrincipalGreetings and welcome to the 2017-2018 School Year!I am thrilled to be in my third year as the Wy'east Middle School Principal. I had quite a interesting journey to arrive here. I grew up and started my edcational career in Michigan. I taught for seven and a half years as a language arts and speech teacher while also earning my Masters degree in secondary school administration. Once I earned that degree, I decided to pursue an administrative position in the state of Oregon. I moved out in 2005 and spent that summer in Hood River. I discoverd the wonders of this beautiful valley. There was not an opportunity for me to join the HRCSD team at that time. I landed in Central Oregon at Jefferson County School District. I served that district for 10 years as a special education teacher, a high school asssistant prinicpal, and a high school principal. Hood River stayed close to my heart as did middle level education, so when the opportunity at Wy'east became available I knew I needed to go for the position.Wy'east has so many wonderful things happening!
- Thank you to the community for passing the recent bond allowing for us to currently be constructing our new STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, & Math) wing.
- Your support of the bond also allowed us to rollout this year 1:1 iPads for each of our learners and update our staff technology.
- We are focused as a school on providing a rigorous and accessible program for each learner. Our instructional focus is around creating independent learners who are able to collaborate to learn. Here are some of our focus strategies that we are using to support each learner.
- AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) - We focus on instructional strategies that support Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading. Our daily planners are a huge component of our school wide efforts for AVID.
- PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention Systems) - Our code of conduct is here to support every learner. The frame work we use is: Be respectful. Be responsible. Be safe. Be a learner.
- Biliteracy Progam - We are pleased to be developing a biliteracy program for our learners who come in with both Spanish and English literacy skills developed.
- We have a full rounded approach to education offering electives in STEAM, Music, Physical Education, Drama, Art, and targeted interventions as needed.
We have an amazing staff that is here to serve the young minds of the mid and upper valley. We appreciate hearing from you and would love to get you involved. Please visit the office to fill out a vounteer form and see where you might be able to assist us in our goals.
Make it an amazing day and keep striving for the summit!